General Order 103a authorized the raising of twelve battalions of infantry, the 57th to 68th, and for them to be on active service as of April 20, 1915. Initially the 60th was to be raised in Montreal and the maritimes but Sam Hughes the minister of Militia intervened and it was raised in Military District No 4 which included Montreal and the surrounding area.
Four of the local Militia units were to raise a Battalion of two hundred and fifty men each. ‘A’ Company was raised by the 3rd Regiment Victoria Rifles of Canada. ‘B’ Company was raised by the 5th Regiment Grenadier Guards of Canada, The 55th Irish Canadian Rangers raised ‘C’ Company and ‘D’ company was raised by the 65th Westmount Rifles. Collectively they raised ‘E’ Company which became the 60th Battalion’s 1st Reinforcing Draft.
Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Arthur DeLong Gascoigne the Commanding Officer of the 3rd Regiment Victoria Rifles of Canada was appointed the Commanding Officer.
Follow the links for information on the battalion history.
- Raising the Battalion
- Organizational Chart of the 60th Battalion
- Battalion History by Month
- Part II Daily Orders
- Battle Honours of the 60th Battalion
- Reinforcements to the 60th Battalion
- Break up of the Battalion
- War Trophies of the 60th Battalion
- The 1st Reinforcing Draft – E Company
- D Company
- The 6087 Overseas Association
For a complete history of the battalion please check out “The Silent 60th. 100 years on”